Blog Archive

Powered by Blogger.

About

Follow Me on Pinterest

Follow by Email

May 30, 2016




I'm in for it this summer!  If you need me, I'll be at my sewing machine.

I spent Memorial Day weekend at fabric stores, or making laps around the bed, attempting to straighten fabric on the cutting board.

 Hancock is closing, and I just keep heading up there with ideas for future projects.  Then I kept going to JoAnns because of the Simplicity $1 pattern sale, and fabric there kept calling to me, and I needed ball point needles that Hancock no longer had, and elastic and and and . . .

Plus, there's projects I've started but haven't finished.

Repair the bias hem on my sundress.  I stupidly took a shortcut, trying to sew only one seam and it didn't catch in the fabric properly at one spot.  It needs fixing

brown denim skirt - New Look 6843, LOVE this pattern, this is the third skirt I've made from it.  I need to finish the waistband, which requires hand sewing, add the hook and eye closure, and decide on back pockets.

B.'s pirate shirt.  I've redone this shirt half a dozen times, trying to meet his size and specifications.  All that's left is the cuffs and whatever I need to do to secure the collar.  Mostly the sleeves were too long and the cuff ruffles are too big.

Basic sage green cosplay skirt.  Experimenting with a no-pattern basic self draft.  It's cut out, anyway.

Pajamas

Similar to this, same fabric, slightly different collar.
So comfortable and lightweight!
I have Simplicity patterns 3696 and 1563, plus a pair of comfy pajamas that I bought ages ago at Kohls.  I had to take in the top considerably, though, and I'm hesitant to spend $36 for something I have to alter.  The fabric is a stretchy textured knit that I originally thought was seersucker until I examined actual seersucker while shopping.  It's more like gauze with a printed design on it.  To my delight I eventually came across the fabric at Hancock - 5 uncut bolts of white with brown flowers!  It apparently shrinks quite a bit in the wash, as I had to go back for a few more yards after I came up 8" short while attempting to cut out.  I also picked up a pink knit with flowers embossed in the fabric, and a muddy brown thin jersey, as well as a rust color thin jersey.  I'm holding back a bit on cutting these until I'm certain the pajama pattern will turn out the way I want.  I'm using the shorts and sleeveless top from 1563 ad the short shirt from 3696.  What I SHOULD do is make a pattern from the PJ set I have, and luckily I have enough fabric left to experiment.  

Blouses

I've been hoarding a sheer and matching knit for ages, planning to make a blouse out of Simplicity 1693, view B.  I've finally got it cut out.

I picked up the blue geometric sweater knit fabric at Hancock.  It's REALLY thin and really clings to itself.  It may be a mistake.  I'm going to attempt Simplicity 1716, the view D dress, with the ruffle sleeves from E.  I've got full length slips to wear under it, and if it's too clingy I can always cut it down to blouse size.

I found a cute blue paisley challis at JoAnns.  I was going to make another sundress from it, but it proved to be not wide enough, plus what was left on the bolt was two slightly over 1 yard pieces.  So it's going to become a waistbanded blouse (view D) from New Look 0181, which is apparently out of print.  I am still contemplating going back to get that other piece . . .There's another red piece of challis I have that is likely to become a sundress, but with wider straps, and it's possible there's enough fabric left to make a blouse.  I'll see how much I like this one before deciding what pattern to use.



Harem Pants

I have two pairs planned - one for me, one for B.  I have plans for a genie costume for him, and for me they may likely be incorporated into a Isabella Bird outfit, albeit a very fancy one!  These outfits needs more work, so far, just the pants!

Pirate Coat

I have two ideas in mind, one a more Victorian Pirate, the other traditional.  The coat pattern I have was all ready to go when I realized it didn't have a collar, and I really want a collar.  Need more research for that . . .

Shrug

I found a pretty light teal thin sweater knit at Hancock, only half a yard left on the bolt.  I think it's just enough to fold in half longways and sew up the edges on each end to make something to cover my shoulders and upper arms.  That's really all I need in the summer time!

So far, that's all I have fabric for.  It's possible I've forgotten a few ideas and fabrics.  I've gotten a lot cut out, but since I'm not really familiar with sewing knits, it's going to be slow going.  I'm excited to have my serger for these projects!