Blog Archive

Powered by Blogger.
January 29, 2013


I grew up in Northern Virginia.  So did my parents.  And most of my grandparents. Some of my great grandparents moved here all the way from the Shenandoah Valley during the Great Depression.  I can trace relatives in Virginia back to the 1620's, so my Virginia roots are rather deep.

In my lifetime alone I've seen a ton of changes to this transient area.  It's gotten more crowded and less friendly.  Traffic is an absolute nightmare, and the cost of living painful.  So when my husband was contacted by Google this past fall, with me finished with college and looking for work, I thought "Since I can't make everyone else leave, I guess I should!"

Once I accepted the possibility of my living elsewhere, it was easy.  I couldn't even get an interview, let alone a job here.  Most of my friends have vanished or moved out of the area.  My family was busy and distracted with their own projects.  The thought of moving someplace with less traffic and potentially nicer people gave me hope.  Getting out of this bizarre townhouse and neighborhood with no parking and loud neighbors was delightful.  Perhaps I could fit in better, something I've never managed to do here.  Perhaps I'd make friends.  Perhaps the anxiety I struggled against daily would ease.   Maybe my allergies would go away.  Hope gave me courage.

I haven't traveled much.  I've only been in different time zones twice, and I've never crossed the Mississippi River.  Yet Boulder, CO is our new destination.  I have the feeling I'm in for a bit of culture shock!

I plan to use this blog to record my explorations of my new home, and perhaps the craziness of moving.  I have specific needs for both myself and my husband, and I hope to meet all of them!  






0 comments: