Blog Archive

Powered by Blogger.
October 23, 2013


I recently came across an unlabeled Willowcrest on eBay that claimed it was a replica of a real house in Saratoga, NY.  I scoffed a bit, knowing it was a kit, but then realized that it's quite possible this kit WAS based on a real house.  I haven't seen the box in so long that I don't remember what it said.  Curiosity got the better of me and off I went to Google Image Search and Pinterest.

I found several intriguing houses.  This one was a house a couple toured during a house hunt. It was built in 1869, so you can get an idea of timing.  They didn't specify where they were, only 'upstate New York.'  Very sweet, and I especially loved the interior photos.

However, the upper level didn't have the distinct shape of the Willowcrest.  It would be easier to search for that feature if I knew what it was called!  So I turned to my newest book:  A Field Guide To American Houses by Virginia & Lee McAlester.  If you're interested in historic architecture or need a good resource for building a historically accurate dollhouse, check out this book!  IT's FILLED with tons of drawings and black and white photos of house styles and architectural bits.

This house in Barrington, RI features a center gable
in the Mansard roof very similar to the Willowcrest style.
The Willowcrest is considered a Second Empire style, which ran between 1855 and 1885.  It has a Mansard roof with a center gable.
It features Italianate style (1840-1885) framed doors, framed paired windows, and overhanging eaves with many decorative brackets.  The example to the left is a classic real life house, and very similar to the one featured on eBay!

Why research and write about all this detail?  I love real history, historic architecture, and old buildings, and will take advantage of any opportunity to look at them.  I'm also in a rut and haven't been able to work on my Willowcrest in a month, and this is my way of working up interest again.


My next option took a while longer to track down, and lead me down a false trail full of gorgeous Victorian gems that you absolutely must visit when you're done here, but eventually I found it.  It turned out to be an historic home struggling to find preservation.  The Winans-Crippen House was built in 1871 in Saratoga Springs, NY.  You can read more about its history and preservation efforts at Saratoga's Preservation Foundation site.  I feel so sorry for it! I can't help wondering if this is the house that influenced the kit.  Do you know of any other homes in the Saratoga area that might be a better match?





Update: 6/20/16

Came across this lovely 1870 house in New Haven, CT today.


























Update: 11/9/16
Look at THIS from Woodbury, NJ:


0 comments: