Blog Archive

Powered by Blogger.
August 10, 2014


The moment you didn't know you were waiting for!

We spent the weekend at Myths and Legends Con, in Northglenn, CO.  This particular convention tries to cover all the non-comic/anime favorites.  Emphasis was given on The Hobbit/Lord of the Rings, Doctor Who, Firefly, Game of Thrones, My Little Pony, and Harry Potter.  It's a very small con just for all you introverts out there who feel overwhelmed just by the thought of 2000 people in a single building.  This event was small enough to feel homey, and we actually got to interact with lots of other people!

Friday we did Firefly.  B. went as Captain Malcolm Reynolds.  I didn't feel like copying any particular character, so I just tried to keep in the neutral/dark color theme of the show.  They asked that we not bring weapons, real or fake, so we stuck some flowers in the homemade holster.  I guess I should get a close up of that!  We made it out of an oversized leather purse I found at a thrift shop.




Saturday, I was the one doing a character, and B. was a random adult upper-class Slytherin wizard.  This of course was the costume I stressed and sweated and posted about so much over for the past several weeks. I'm hoping he never has to wear that tunic again.


Hard to see, but on his belt he has a wand holster, complete with handmade wand  previously purchased at AnomalyCon.



I was Mary Poppins.  She seemed to fit right in with the British heavy themes, and my argument that she can pretty much fit into ANY genre worked quite well.  I had several people refer to me as The Doctor, and of course I had to respond with the fact that I was actually a Ravenclaw.  (If this totally confuses you, I understand, so click here to TVTROPES for explanations.  Scroll down a little over halfway.)  I was amazed at the positive reaction by the other attendees.  I had several people THANK me for cosplaying her.  I've got big plans for cosplaying her in the future.

Naturally my bow chooses that moment to twist.
I can fix it!
 You know it's a good con when one of the performers starts playing songs from the movie whenever I walked by . . .


When I first left the hotel room dressed up, I paused to check that the door key card worked, and heard two little girls farther down the hall:  "Mary Poppins!  It's MARY POPPINS!"  It felt good, especially considering they were likely NOT attending the convention.    


The con was holding drawings for random prizes all over the place, and we awkwardly managed to win TWO of the three coveted crocheted dragon eggs.  I'm hoping to give back by volunteering.  Maybe I'll make crocheted dragons for them to hand out next year . . .


Sunday, we did The Hobbit, but our outfits were more English country themed instead.  I did not take pictures.  We were exhausted and, well, it wasn't anything we hadn't worn before.  Brian had his blue cap and brown vest from AnomalyCon, over a blue checked shirt, and I had on my light green skirt and pink/green corset.  

We met quite a few awesome people, and because it was such a small con, we got to interact with them quite a bit!  Lots of hugging and laughing occurred.  We look forward to going back next year.

0 comments: