Blog Archive

Powered by Blogger.
August 16, 2012


When I moved, I lost the horizontal storage needed to store my jewelry box, and had to leave it behind.  My jewelry lived in limbo for ages.  I eventually bought hanger storage, which was great for my pins and preventing necklace snarls,

The rings were another problem.  I have lots of cheapy little rings, but they were too small to take up a single pocket, and I didn't want them all jumbled up together in one.  It's hard to hang rings and yet make them easy to get remove!

So I was very excited when I first saw SellzCuteThings' DIY Ring Wall Holder Tutorial on Pinterest.   Easy and cheap?  EUREKA!

I did mine a little differently, but the process is so simple that you can customize it in many ways.  The foam doesn't NEED to be covered, but I wanted to see just how fancy I could make it.

The foam curlers are easy to take apart: just slide the middle bar to one side and pull the foam off.  They could easily be cut to size if they don't fit perfectly in the selected box.  (I tried just stringing them on ribbon, which worked, but I was afraid the rings would fall out the other side, so I had to go buy a box.  I think a cardboard cereal box would have worked, but it takes us forever to finish ours and I didn't want to wait!)

I also found the pencil case at the Dollar Tree, and it was the perfect size for fitting 16 curlers at a good pressure for holding rings in place.

I used the middle bar as a stabilizer to keep keep the foam in a straight line, just ran a bead of glue down the plastic and along one edge of a curler and assemble.  I measured out a piece of fabric just large enough to roll around each foam piece and glued in place.

The fabric?  In my stash.  Isn't it pretty?  It was actually a sample upholstery fabric swatch from JoAnns - a few years ago they sold off their old swatches for a dollar or two.   It does compete with the rings, though, so I would recommend using a less busy piece if you want to showcase your jewelry.

I do regret buying a see-through case.  I was in an inspirational hurry, and any box the right dimensions would do so long as I could get the project done right away.   I had JUST enough fabric left to disguise the otherwise messy sides, which turned out quite pretty.

The box could easily be hung if I cut a small hole in the top for ribbon.  I could also probably cut the lid off, but I rather like the added security of keeping the rings inside, because I STILL can't store it flat!  

So, $2 for two packs of foam curlers, $1 for the box, and I probably paid $1 for the fabric 5 years ago.  I'm pleased with the end results, and now that I can see and remember what I own, I will wear my rings more often!

Note:  I have REALLY small hands, my rings are a size 4, which may throw off the  visual dimensions.  Two foam curlers side by side measure 4.5" if you are planning your own box.  




1 comments:

Sellz said...

wow! Yours looks fantastic! covering it with fabric makes it look super cute. :-)