Blog Archive

Powered by Blogger.
February 3, 2014


I'm slowly getting going again, miniature-wise. I spent today wiring up the bathroom ceiling light.  Something else I get to check off my list! (and yes, I DID make a list.  I had to limit it to the work still pending on the second floor or I probably would have cried.)

Naturally, having even gotten this far, I already want to make changes to the new things I've done.  I want to be able to remove all of the lighting fixtures, to make it easier to move.  (Not that I had any problems with the last move, but you never know.)  More accurately it's so I can easily replace them, because I frequently change my mind about what I like.

The question is, do I rip out my new stuff?  Someone on my miniatures digest asked a similar question about installing wallpaper she wasn't quite happy with.  The answer was almost unanimous - don't do it!  You'll hate it every time you see it.  It's like leaving a mistake in your knitting.  You might finish the project, but tend to point out the mistake whenever someone compliments it.  So apparently, yes.  Redo it til you like it.

Fortunately I found instructions for how to wire through the flooring, so it's just a matter of drilling holes and pulling down the old lights - once again.  I'm so glad my hands are small, as the lights I'm talking about are the ones in the unreachable hallways!

How it currently stands, in case you forgot.
I actually don't remember the original design.
The other redo is much bigger.  The kitchen just isn't big enough for me.  Technically I CAN find (or make) 2" wide fridges and ovens, but at the sacrifice of counter space.  I just want a little bit more room.  So, following the wisdom of the more experienced, I knocked out the kitchen wall with the window in it.

It was hard to figure out at first.  I didn't want to undo all the hard work on the bathroom roof, yet I didn't really need for the bathroom to be any bigger.  I made all those shingles by hand!  I also didn't want to increase the dollhouse's footprint.  It was too awkward to cut the entire extension off where it meets the house.  I just didn't have the right tools for that, or I might have gone with it.

http://www.architecturalhouseplans.com/home_plans/470/photos?start=6&plan_id=470
The plan I came up with is doing a cantilevered window, and lowering the window a little bit. Somewhat like the image on the left, except quite likely with arched windows to match all the other ones on the house.  I'm not sure if it will look too busy on that side with so much architecture going on, but hey, it's a Victorian house.  It will extend about an inch and a half, which will hopefully give me enough room to maneuver inside.

I am still debating whether or not to have this new section take up the entire side of the house, or if I should have it come in a bit.  I'm also still debating the side windows.  I like it, but it might take away counter and/or cabinet space.  I must make a mockup and see what happens.

Now I'm wondering if I should extend the bay window on the other side, just to balance out the house.  This side is starting to look like an accordion!

0 comments: